Monday, January 23, 2006

The Polar Plunge

So there I was, already freezing cold, standing in my shorts and running shoes next to a hole in the ice, a harness belt around my waist with everyone yelling 1-2-3! Without thinking I let loose into a cannonball that soaked those at the ice edge. The water was shocking, and it was the saltiest water I had ever tasted. My plan was to try to play it cool- yeah right! Involuntarily the body seizes and all available air is immediately pushed through the mouth and nose. I waited about ten seconds for a guy to snap this picture, nine seconds too long. The water beneath the ice is 28 degrees (salt water freezes at 27), so it froze immediately in my beard as I climbed up the ladder. My coat was waiting there to greet me along with others cheering. Everyone who is stupid enough to jump in the water hollars a little because they can feel your pain. As I was walking the path back to the overlook my shoes froze.

The tradition of the Polar Plunge is carried on each year by the Kiwis (New Zealanders at the nearby base). I suppose lawsuits and safety warnings aren't as common in New Zealand as in the states. I had looked forward to this day since I first heard about the plunge. There were about fifty people stupid enough to plunge on Sunday, and after I got feeling back in the toes I was glad I was one of them.

9 Comments:

At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll bet your....er, nevermind. Awesome pictures man. I got that video too. That was awesome.

 
At 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

woah, bearded wonder! I second that congratulations on the marathon... i love running and all, but NOT in the icy cold. You are definitely still the same crazy kid... polar bear jumping and marathon racing and bob sledding. It's fun to catch up on how you are and all the latest adventures... I love all the pics- i need to check in here more often!
colleen

 
At 7:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not see how you could jump in that freezing cold water!Pretty cool!Keep sendin' the pictures,they are great!Bethany

 
At 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Alan!!! Ok, it's been a looooooong time but I followed the link from Kyle Dixon's website and got completely wrapped up in your arctic world. You're crazy...not surprising. I did a polar plunge too but it was in 52 degree water at Tybee (Savannah). Well, I'm just saying hi. Take care!

 
At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I heard that you got some gig in Antarctica, I said, "Of course he did." Briggs...you crazy man! I'm so glad you're out there stretching everything in you that was made for exactly what you are doing!

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Briggs you insane, crazy man...although its good to see you getting a bath atleast. Aight man, keep it real, no weak sauce anywhere here man! Peace

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger Eric said...

Hey Alan

What a great blog site. I realy like the stories and the pictures. As for your polar plung ... You are CRAZY, But at the same time how many people here in the states can say they have done that. By the way I know your brother, we go to the same church. he was the one who got me started bloging and I was on his blog site when I found yours. Anyway keep bring the great stories and pictures.
Eric

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Peter Wantstobe said...

Wow, I like to kid your folks and refer to you as .....
"The man who sleeps in the snow"

Now what am I supposed to say?

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Scott said...

I'm not a Briggs, but beards rule. Wear it proud my friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home